>

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Alcohol Stove Fuel Comparison – Part 2

Hi, thanks for coming, you’re now here and may want to:
subscribe to my feed (click on this link).

“Contentment consist not in adding more fuel, but in taking away some fire.” ~ Thomas Fuller

My prior post “Alcohol Stove Fuel Comparison”  did a few tests comparing different backpacking stove fuels such as HEET, Iso-HEET, denatured alcohol and grain alcohol.

When comparing HEET (methyl alcohol) in the yellow bottle to Iso-HEET (Isopropyl alcohol) in the red bottle, Iso-HEET showed itself to be a much better performer.  Although it is an extremely sooty and dirty fuel.

This surprised myself and some of my readers.  One viewer suggested the performance issue of HEET might be related to the height of the pot stands.  In the below video of this follow-up test, this indeed proved to the case.  I varied the distance between the stove and the pot and at the medium distance HEET performed well.

Here’s the video of my results: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment