>

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee for Backpacking

OK, So people have been telling me for a year that Starbucks VIA Ready Brew instant coffee is really good and since one pack of it weights only 4 grams (0.2 ounces) it’s pretty much perfect for hiking, camping and backpacking.  Problem was:

A. I’ve tried all different kinds of instant coffee and they all pretty much suck.

B. I don’t like Starbucks: I don’t like their coffee, I don’t like them being so overpriced and don’t like their urban / yuppie marketing.

Herevia-readybrew’s the thing though, I been hearing it so much, when I saw it in Target last week I figured I would risk the $3 bucks and give it a try.  Actually I tried both the Columbia (medium) and the Italian Roast (Extra Bold). 

I think what made be buy it was that Starbucks used a normal English word like “medium” right on the label.  Usually at Starbucks I think the word “Grande” translates to “medium”. 

Anyway, all the marketing B.S. aside, the stuff actually tastes like real coffee.  Best instant coffee I have ever had by far. So I’m reluctantly going to bring it on my next backpacking trip, which happens to be with my daughter next weekend.

It looks like Starbucks is now selling this stuff in various grocery stores and Targets all over the place.  If you can’t find it you can get it from REI Click HERE.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Is it worth the $1 per serving?

    I got used to the instant from Army rations by mixing in instant cocoa powder instead of sugar and creamer - now it's the way I drink it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give that cocoa powder idea a try, sounds interesting. But normally I like the taste of coffee (without anyother stuff in it). When out in the woods with no better way (at least no lighter way) to make coffee - I think its worth the $1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good info! Would this option be lighter than the Folgers "tea bags" type of coffee? That is what I usually bring, but this sounds like it will be lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used the Folgers bags and they are pretty good - I think this tastes better. I'm not sure about the weight - i'm guessing the tea bags are slightly heavier. The bags also create more trash to carry out - wet trash.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete